Researchers are starting to see the benefits of yoga, which is why this practice is quickly gaining popularity all over the world. If you are curious about this practice but are still unconvinced whether yoga is good for fitness or not, here are the top five benefits that can help you make up your mind:
1. Yoga helps you become more flexible. This is the most obvious benefit, as you can easily see it when you watch yoga practitioners, or yogis, doing their poses and stretches. You will notice yogis touching their toes without bending their knees, or you will see them hugging their legs so tightly that their faces touch their knees. If you try these poses yourself, it would seem impossible. But once you start your classes, you will notice your improvement and become more flexible as you progress.
2. Yoga helps you relax. The city life in Hong Kong can take a toll on you, making you more stressed. Yoga helps relieve this stress because it helps you clear your mind during yoga meditation. Yoga encourages you to tune all your senses into the practice, so that you forget other things that are weighing you down. Furthermore, yoga has the ability to reduce the level of cortisol, a stress hormone, in your body.
3. Yoga improves your posture. Do you have back pain and neck strain? These are symptoms of improper posture. If you stay in front of your computer several hours a day, you tend to hunch over, causing strain on your spine. With yoga stretches, you will be able to stretch your body, expanding your spine to its natural form, therefore improving your posture. With proper posture comes less back, shoulder and neck pain. As long as you continue with yoga daily, working all day in front of your computer will no longer cause pain.
4. Yoga gives you better bone health. Two ways to strengthen your bones is to increase your calcium intake and to do weight-lifting exercises. With yoga, you no longer need weights for your weight-lifting because your body is enough. There are several yoga poses that require you to lift your body fully, such as headstand and one-leg pose.
5. Yoga helps improve circulation. For your body to function properly, all of its parts must receive enough oxygen and nutrients which are in the blood. Blockages can cause some parts of your body to have reduced blood flow, which in turn can cause cramps. Yoga helps get rid of these blockages and improve blood flow, allowing you to fully use your whole body with less strain.
Many people who engage in this practice start to appreciate how yoga is good for fitness and overall well-being. It helps not only the body, but also the spirit, therefore making you happier and giving you a better outlook on life.